John G. Miskey IV
John G. Miskey IV has maintained an interest in law, families and policy throughout his educational and professional career.
Born in Buffalo, New York, Mr. Miskey chose to remain close to family while attending Niagara University for his undergraduate studies. He graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in criminology and criminal justice in 2002. At Niagara, he was recognized for his proficiency in moot court competitions, worked in the New York State legislature and composed his honors thesis on the expanding specialty court trend. Mr. Miskey obtained his Juris Doctor degree from The State University of New York at Buffalo, graduating with a concentration in civil litigation. He served as executive director of the law school’s Phillip C. Jessup International Moot Court Board and was inducted into The Order of Barristers. Mr. Miskey clerked at the firm of Lipsitz Green Scime Cambria in Buffalo and the district office of a United States Senator.
Mr. Miskey relocated to North Carolina and established the firm’s family law practice following his admission to the North Carolina Bar in 2006. In 2012, he became a shareholder at Bagwell Holt Smith P.A. Clients who seek family law counsel are often in the midst of an emotionally trying situation and Mr. Miskey finds it rewarding to assist families navigate the legal system and transition through difficult circumstances. His cases range high net worth divorce cases to providing pro bono representation to those in need.
In the community, Mr. Miskey serves on the board of directors and presents at a monthly divorce workshop at the Compass Center for Women and Families in Chapel Hill, an organization that assists victims of domestic violence. He is the co-chair of the Orange Family Law Bar and is a member of the Child Issues Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Family Law Council. Mr. Miskey has been a guest lecturer at North Carolina Central’s law school, mentors upcoming attorneys and participates in the Family Law Friday program, a free legal service. In his spare time, Mr. Miskey enjoys working in his yard, traveling and spending time with family.
State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law
- J.D., 2005
- B.S. Criminology and Criminal Justice, 2002
- summa cum laude
- Compass Center for Women and Families, Board of Directors and Monthly Workshop Presenter
- Family Law Friday program
- AVVO Client’s Choice Award, 2015
- AVVO Excellent Rating of 9.5
- AVVO Top Contributor, 2013
- Legal Elite Best Family Law Attorney, 2016
Memberships and Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar, Member, 2006
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Family Bar, Member
- Orange Family Law Bar, Co-Chair
- Durham County Family Bar, Member
- Durham County Family Bar, Co-Chair, 2010-2012
- Family Law Council- Adoption Committee, member, 2010-present
- Family Law Council- Child Issues Committee, member, 2010-2012
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- United States District Court for the Middle District of NC
- United States District Court for the Eastern District NC