John G. Miskey IV
John G. Miskey IV is a board certified specialist in Family Law and leads the Firm’s Family Law department. He has maintained an interest in Family Law, families and policy throughout his educational and professional career.
Mr. Miskey’s character and work ethic was forged in his childhood. His first job was delivering daily newspapers through the snow-filled neighborhoods of Buffalo, NY. Very close with his family, he chose to attend local schools for his education. Mr. Miskey graduated summa cum laude from Niagara University and obtained his Juris Doctor degree from The State University of New York at Buffalo with a concentration in civil litigation. While in law school, he clerked at the firm of Lipsitz Green Scime Cambria and the district office of a United States Senator.
Mr. Miskey relocated to North Carolina and established the Firm’s Family Law practice following his admission to the North Carolina Bar in 2006. In 2012, he became a shareholder at Bagwell Holt Smith P.A. Clients who seek Family Law counsel are often in the midst of an emotionally trying situation; Mr. Miskey finds it rewarding to assist families in navigating the legal system and transitioning through difficult circumstances. His cases range from high net worth divorce cases to providing pro bono representation to those in need.
In the community, Mr. Miskey served on the board of directors and presented at a monthly divorce workshop at the Compass Center for Women and Families in Chapel Hill, an organization that assists victims of domestic violence. He is the co-chair of the Orange Family Law Bar after holding the same position with the Durham Family Law Bar. Mr. Miskey has been a guest lecturer at North Carolina Central’s law school and served as a panelist presenting to attorneys and therapeutic professionals. Outside of the office, Mr. Miskey enjoys working in his yard, traveling and spending time with family.
State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law
- J.D., 2005
- B.S. Criminology and Criminal Justice, 2002,
summa cum laude
- Compass Center for Women and Families, Former Board of Directors and Monthly Workshop Presenter
- Family Law Friday program
- AVVO Clients’ Choice Award, 2015
- AVVO Excellent Rating of 9.5
- AVVO Top Contributor, 2013
- Legal Elite Best Family Law Attorney, 2016
Memberships and Admissions
- North Carolina State Bar, Member, 2006
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Family Bar, Member
- Orange Family Law Bar, Co-Chair
- Durham County Family Bar, Member
- Durham County Family Bar, Co-Chair, 2010-2012
- Family Law Council- Adoption Committee, member, 2010-present
- Family Law Council- Child Issues Committee, member, 2010-2012
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- United States District Court for the Middle District of NC
- United States District Court for the Eastern District NC