Separation and Divorce
The decision to file for divorce, or the realization that your spouse wants a divorce, can be a very difficult time in a person’s life. At Bagwell Holt Smith P.A., we provide comprehensive representation throughout physical separation and divorce proceedings and have the experience and compassion necessary to help you navigate your way through the process. Our divorce lawyers have decades of experience obtaining favorable outcomes for decisions regarding custody, financial support and property division.
During this emotionally trying time, you may be overwhelmed and unsure of what steps to take. Whether you are considering separating from your spouse, or the decision has been made, our attorneys make a point of being available to answer your questions, review your options and work with you to develop strategies that protect your parental, financial and property rights. If necessary, we will also vigorously fight to protect your rights in court.
We can help answer these questions you may have, and more:
- What are practical suggestions for a spouse considering separation?
- What is a legal separation?
- What is the effect of resuming marital relations or reconciling on the parties’ separation? Does it start the one-year separation period again?
- If a spouse separates without financial resources, what government resources are available to potentially provide financial relief and medical insurance for the spouse and minor children?
- How long must a spouse be separated before filing for divorce?
- Is filing for Absolute Divorce or a Divorce from Bed and Board a better legal remedy?
- What are the filing fees to file for divorce?
- Is there a residency requirement for filing for divorce?
- How long does the entire divorce process take?
- Is marital fault or consent of a spouse relevant?
- Can the Court grant possession of the marital residence to one spouse?
- What objections or defenses can be raised at a divorce proceeding?
- What are the effects of divorce on other issues, e.g. child custody, child support and property?
Contact us Bagwell Holt Smith P.A. for guidance throughout your divorce case.